Ngopi Luwak di Baturiti Bali



When I asked my man what he wants me to bring, he said kopi luwak please.

Kopi Luwak is the most expensive coffee in the world. That coffee been produced on the Indonesian islands of Sumatra, Bali, Sulawesi dan Java. Kopi luwak is collected from the droppings of a wild catlike creature called the luwak or civet. The civet has a long tail like a monkey, face markings like a raccoon and stripes or spots on its body. These little animals live in the trees and one of their favorite foods is the red, ripe coffee cherry. 


Yes darling, it is made from poop, or rather it is made from coffee beans that are partially digested and then pooped out by the luwak. 

Sound disgusting?
hahahah it is! but wait until you try. Ohh....



So today along with Lady, Adista and their mother Mbak Ela,  we went to Desa Parean, Baturiti.  We had a lovely Balinese girl greeted us at the entry and walked us through the plantation and  showing cocoa beans, passion fruit trees etc. She was very passionate and knowledgeable, answer every question about the process. Maybe she'd said it all a hundred times already that day, but she was happy to answer any question we had. 


I saw two luwaks were sleeping in logs, so I couldn't get a clear look at them. This poor luwaks should be a wild animal... free! Don't put them in a horrible makeshift cage like this and make them stress. 


The girl maybe saw my unhappy face and took us to the "cafe" and brew a small portions of 11 tea and coffee for tasting. Free! I like coconut coffee, saffron tea and mangooesteen. Hey, let's be honest, it was the best part of the whole experience!


But if you want to try kopi luwak, it is 50K a cup It was good to sit down and relax whilst soaking in the beautiful scenery. Yes it was a nice place and peaceful. 

The gift shop also offers a good variety of goodies, pricey but make a nice gift.  I really wanted to buy some teas for myself beside kopi luwak for him but I wasn't sure if I could bring it through customs into Australia. I just bought small pack 100grm of kopi luwak for 300K instead the big one!

It was a great experience. The place is really neat and tidy and everyone is very friendly. definitely will come back again.

Comments

Popular Posts