A NO BAKE Cheesecake!


My first introduction to cheesecakes was in 2000, Jim asked his maid to make it. First, in my mind, it was just like Classic Indonesian Cheesecake or what we call Bolu Keju, a Light sponge cake spread with buttercream and grated cheddar cheese on top 😂I had never had or even heard of a cheesecake before this. And I was completely obsessed from the moment I tried it. 

I never thought about making my own cheesecake because I'm lucky to live in Australia where cheesecake is easy to find on the cold shelves in supermarkets near my house. The price is not too expensive but tastes delicious. Cheesecake is one of those desserts that you can honestly enjoy all year round. It’s great for any time or any occasion.

But everything changed after I tried Angela's Basque Cheesecake that she brought to the class party. I started thinking about making my own cheesecake. It was a classic Spanish dessert that differs from other baked cheesecakes as it doesn't have a crust. Instead, it is baked at high temperature to give its signature 'burnt' surface, which also holds it together. Yummy!!!

With the weather since yesterday being quite hot at 33C, I canceled my plans to make Basque Cheesecake. I didn't want the temperature in the house to get hotter because I had to bake in the oven at a very high temperature. I started looking for recipes with cheesecake without an oven and found this recipe (Dish by Risk). It is easy to make and no oven is needed. 

I still have the desire to make Basque Cheesecake. I think the best time is during winter. The heat from the oven can warm the house.

Jackie | Melbourne


A NO BAKE cheesecake!

For the biscuit base
250g biscuits 
125g unsalted butter, melted

For the cheesecake filling
300g cream cheese, softened to room temperature
150ml cold double cream
1/4 of an orange, zested
70g icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt


Instructions
For the biscuit base:
  1. Start by bashing the biscuits until they're finely ground. I used a food processor
  2. Transfer the biscuits to a mixing bowl and pour over melted butter. Mix until it resembles 'wet sand'
  3. Place some baking paper along the base of an 8" springform pan. No need to grease and no need to line the sides of the tin either. 
  4. Transfer the biscuit mixture into the tin and press firmly into an even layer. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes

For the cheesecake filling:
  1. Pour the double cream/heavy whipping cream into a bowl and whisk to stiff peaks. I like to do this with a hand whisk as you're less likely to over whisk
  2. In a separate bowl, add the cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla, salt, and orange zest. Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature and softened - this will help to incorporate everything
  3. Whisk the cream cheese mixture together until combined
  4. Add the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and fold in
  5. Spoon the cheesecake filling over the chilled biscuit base and smooth over
  6. over-whiskPlace back into the refrigerator for at least 6 hours

Comments

Popular Posts